I welcome you to our Department, a department that is an off-shoot of the old Department of Teachers Education , a department that has been known for the production of highly qualified personnel for all the levels of education in Nigeria and beyond. The Department took off with effect from the 2016/2017 session. The vision and mission, Philosophy and objectives of the Department are indicated below:
- To be a world-class institution for academic excellence geared towards meeting social needs.
- To develop a programme that builds excellent personnel in mathematics and natural sciences to meet the needs for secondary schools.
- To expand the frontier of knowledge through the provision of excellent conditions for learning and research
- To produce graduate teachers who are worthy in character and sound judgment
- To contribute to the transformation of the society through creativity and innovation.
- To serve as a dynamic custodian of society's salutary values and thus sustain its integrity.
- To produce qualified science educators who are knowledgeable, skillful, objective, well informed and with right attitude.
- To develop in students reflective-scientific culture for teaching and problem solving
The teacher is the most important manpower needed to develop other manpower in the society. Therefore, teachers for the Basic and Post Basic education levels in the 21st Century should be adequately motivated and, equipped to play significant roles in the national issue of integrating every member of the society into a sound and effective citizen.
1. To produce effective and efficient Science and Technology teachers for the Basic and Post-Basic education levels.
2. To produce Science and Technology teachers with the appropriate academic and pedagogical knowledge necessary for handling various science subjects.
3. To produce highly motivated, conscientious, efficient and creative SMT teachers who will be adaptable to changing situations in the society.
4. To enhance SMT teachers’ commitment to the teaching profession and community service.